Adding a super

In a mad dash on Saturday (in the rain & gloveless no less), Wayne and I did a quick switch of the supers on the hive.  We added one empty super with new frames and foundation and placed it directly below the current honey super which was two frames short of being full.

My hope is that in the next few weeks we can grab the full super and try Beekeeper Linda’s crush and strain method of harvesting.  I’ve ordered a small filtering system from Brushy Mountain and some small jars to get us started.  As soon as it arrives, we’re going to give it a shot.

It’s probably a bit early to harvest, but I’m anxious to have our first taste of the lovely honey and to learn a bit about harvesting so we’ll be better prepared for next time.  Plus, the girls currently have some honey stored on the edge frames in the brood area as well as on the burr comb they’ve attached to the bottom of the long frames.   My message: there is no shortage of stored honey so it should not stress the bees and the nectar flow shall continue.  There will be ample opportunity for them to store away more.

In the meantime, here’s our lovely hive:

Other exciting news: It looks like we’re picking up our second colony on the 8th of May.  🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: